Methuen Housing Authority

Leased Housing

Section 8

MHA administers 569 federally funded Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers which assist very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects. A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA. A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

Section 8 Documents


MHA administers 6 state-funded MRVP mobile vouchers. Like Section 8, with MRVP you can apply for a rental voucher to help you pay rent. MRVP voucher holders will pay at least 30% of their net monthly income towards rent. The amount you can get for a mobile voucher is limited based on the number of people in your household and your town or city. Use them for any housing unit that meets the standards of the state sanitary code. Even if you are eligible for a voucher, you will be placed on a waiting list because of high demand.

MRVP Documents


The Methun Housing Authority values our partnerships with our local landlords; they are a vital part of the Housing Choice Voucher program. MHA aims to provide useful resources to all our landlords so that participating in this essential HUD program is straight forward and appealing. Some of the biggest benefits of leasing to a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holder are:

  • You will get timely and dependable payments from the public housing authority (PHA). Participating, compliant landlords will receive timely and dependable housing assistance payments (HAP) each month once the HAP contract and lease are signed.
  • You will get your full rental payment. When an HCV tenant’s income permanently changes, the portion of rent paid by the PHA, and the tenant is adjusted to reflect this change. This provides financial protection to landlords in that if an HCV tenant’s income decreases, there is a process for the PHA to pay a larger portion of the rent to the landlord so the landlord continues to receive a full rental payment.
  • You will receive regular inspections. Some landlords appreciate the routine inspections because they provide an opportunity to check on the condition of the unit. This can result in identifying maintenance needs that may have otherwise gone unnoticed for some time. Landlords that own or manage properties across wide geographies tend to appreciate the value in having a routine, objective inspection of their rental units.
  • You may request annual reasonable rent increases. Compliant landlords may request a rent increase at the annual anniversary of the HAP contract by written notice to the PHA.
  • You have the opportunity to help low-income elderly, disabled, and veteran households, as well as families with children by providing affordable housing. More than 50 percent of vouchers serve elderly or non-elderly disabled families. About 45 percent of vouchers assist single-parent families.

HQS Inspections

Housing Quality Standards Inspections are required by HUD and the MHA. Inspections ensure minimum housing quality standards are met for all apartments that are subsidized under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. MHA currently contracts a third-party inspection company McCright and Associates to complete all HQS inspections.

  • Initial Inspection: New units must pass inspection before MHA can approve a move-in or enter into a HAP contract.
  • Annual or Biennial Inspection: All apartments are required to be completed and pass inspection. Inspections can be every year or every other year depending on the last inspection.
  • Special or Complaint Inspection: This type of inspection can be requested by the landlord or tenant.
  • Quality Control Inspection (QC): This type of inspection is done to verify the inspection company is accurately inspecting apartments. These inspections are randomly selected each month for re-inspection by a QC inspector.
Login to our inspection company’s landlord portal here: McCright

Listing a Rental Property with MHA

MHA is always happy to share rental listings with our participants. If you are interested in listing your rental property in our office, please email the listing information to Please be sure to include the location, rental price, number of bedrooms, and what utility costs the tenant will be responsible for, as well as the best contact information and any other details you would like to share.

Is your tenant applying for RAFT?

Many low-income families may need assistance for moving costs such as security deposits. The Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) program provides up to $7,000 per 12-month period to help your tenants with back rent or with "startup costs" for a new unit. Examples of "startup costs" are first and last month’s rent and a security deposit.

To apply for RAFT, both a tenant and a landlord must complete corresponding applications. If the application is approved, payment will be submitted directly to the landlord. Either the landlord or the tenant can start the process. In our area, Community Team Works administers the program and will review the applications after they are matched in the system.

Learn more about RAFT and other housing resources by dialing 211, visiting Community Team Work’s website or contacting your local Housing Consumer Education Center (HCEC).

Landlord Documents